Many factors can cause the electrical wiring in your home to become faulty. It can be damaged by water, rodents, or general wear and tear. If you live in an older home, like many residents of Lafayette, LA, the electrical system might not be enough to handle the load placed on it by modern electronics. Faulty electrical wiring is dangerous, but it can also cause high electrical usage that is reflected in your energy bill.
Faulty Wiring and Increasing Electrical Usage
As we add new electronic devices to our homes, the electrical system might not be able to handle them. This is especially true if you live in a home that is more than 20 years old. Over time, electrical wires that are being stretched to the limit can heat up and become damaged, and this can cause your electricity consumption to increase.
Faulty Wiring and High Electric Bills
Faulty wiring is an electrical hazard and can pose a significant risk. Many times, it does not cause a fire, and you might not notice anything but an increase in your electric bill. Faulty wiring to appliances can cause them to heat up and consume more electricity. Damaged or frayed wiring on your thermostat can cause your HVAC system to run continually, which means an increase in energy costs.
Faults in Your Electrical Panel
Electrical faults in your circuit box can cause a power drain, which can cause an increase in your electric bill. Repairing or replacing your electrical panel will help to lower your bills and make sure you keep your family safe. A faulty electric meter can also cause your bills to be exceptionally high.
Now, you know several ways that electrical faults can cause a rise in your electricity consumption. In some cases, the culprit might be more than one problem at the same time. This is sometimes the case in older homes. Here are a few signs that your home might have faulty wiring that needs to be repaired or replaced.
- Lights flickering constantly
- Breakers that continually trip
- Lights dim when an appliance is turned on
- Humming or buzzing sound from the electrical panel
- Burnt odor
- Sparks or scorch marks near outlets or switches
If you have seen a sudden or gradual increase in your electrical consumption, it is a good idea to have a professional inspect the system to make sure that it is as safe and efficient as it can be. At Comeaux Electrical Services in Lafayette, LA, we have over 40 years in the electrical field. We serve Lafayette and the surrounding areas with trustworthy and reliable services.
Our electricians are licensed and insured, and we offer competitive pricing. It is a good idea to have us come out and inspect your electrical system and panel if you think that your home or business might have faulty wiring. Contact us, and we will schedule someone to come out and help as soon as possible.